Friday, April 29, 2016

Try this, Not That

Welcome Beauty Bargain Hunters!



I love doing my Products I Regret posts because if a product doesn't work well, I want to let people know so they possibly avoid making the same mistake I did.  But I started thinking about it, and I wanted to take it a step further, instead of just telling you about a product I didn't like, I thought I would also tell you a product that I would use instead of that one.  So below I took the products that I listed in my first "Products I Regret Buying" post and letting you know what I use instead of that one:

NOTThe Balm Cindy-Lou Manizer
TRY THIS: Wet N Wild Mega-Glo Illunminating Palette in Catwalk Pink- This is exactly what I am looking for in a pink highlighter.  It's a really glowy highlighter, that is just subtlety pink.  I feel like the Cindy Lou Manizer was almost too pink.  It was too pinkly pigmented to be a highlight but too shiney to be a blush.  The Wet N Wild one I think got the pink highlight concept perfectly!

NOTLorac Pro Palette
TRY THIS:  Urban Decay Naked 1, 2 or 3.  This is a really tough one for me.  Even though I was not personally a fan of the Lorac Pro palette, I have to admit it is a really versatile palette that you can make a lot of really different looks with.  Most of the other palettes I own and can recommend are not as versatile, so it's hard for me to suggest an alternative that I have used.  So I would just recommend the big staple in the beauty community, the Naked palettes.  All 3 are amazing quality shadows that will make amazing eye looks together.  Whichever shades you gravitate towards, warm, cool or roses, I would just pick up the palette in the shade, you will not regret it.

NOTToo Faced Candlelight Highlighter
TRY THIS: ELF Baked Highlighter in Moonlight Pearls- This highlighter can give you a nice subtle glow to your checks, but you can still tell that it's there!  With the Too Face Candlelight, I just didn't not feel like it was pigmented enough and you could hardly I had applied anything but my blush.  With ELF, you get a nice shine but it's still subtle enough to wear to work.

NOTNYX Butter Lipsticks
TRY THIS: NYX Butter Glosses- This one was a tough one for me because I'm not the biggest fan of moisturizing lipsticks.  I gravitate more towards the matte formula ones.  So I'm just going to suggest the NYX Butter Glosses.  I know they are not a lipstick alternative, but they are an AMAZING NYX product and it has the word Butter in it!  They are seriously one of my favorite lip gloss formulas ever.  I always have at least one of them in my purse.  They are great to throw on alone or with a lipstick (which I would not do with a lot of other lip glosses) and they always look and feel great.

NOTELF Corrective Concealer Palette
TRY THIS: Physicians Formula Correct & Cover Concealer (or Conceal Sticks)-Perfect timing for this one!  Corrective color concealers are all the rage right now!  Unfortunately I have not tried any of the new ones that have been coming out lately, so I'm just going to mention the color concealer I have been using for years, the Physicians Formula ones.  Physicians Formula has been making concealers in yellow and green for a very long time.  They have these in concealer sticks, tubes and small compacts.  I have tried all three of both shades and I love them all.  They are pigmented (unlike the ELF palette) and they cover really well.  They aren't greasy and they don't crease.  And you can always get them cheap the drug store with sales and coupons!

NOT: Benefit That Gal Brightening Face Primer
TRY THIS:  Too Faced Hangover RX Face Primer- This is not a brightening primer, but I have not yet found a brightening foundation that I like!  I have tried a few, including the Benefit That Gal and I just feel like after I apply my foundation I do not see the brightening effects on my skin.  So I thought I would just mention a really good, hydrating primer instead.  The Hangover RX is almost like a moisturizer/primer combo.  When you pump it out and first apply it's like a moisturizer, but them as you rub it in, it leaves your skin feeling like a primer.  And I do feel like it helps my makeup last longer!

NOT: Mary Kay Jelly Lip Gloss in Teddy Bare
TRY THIS: Nars Lip Gloss in Strip Tease- I'm so sorry to be recommending a such a pricey lip gloss as the alternative for this one, but I have been loving these glosses lately!  It's my favorite formula in lip gloss ever (very pigmented, does not feel sticky or heavy) and the color is very similar to Mary Kay Teddy Bare, but much more pigmented!  If you really want an alternative from the drug store, my second recommendation would be Milani Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss in Nude Touch).

NOT: Almay Longwear & Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Pads
TRY THIS: Almay Oil Free Eye Make Up Remover Pads- This one is simple, I love the Almay eye make up removers, just not in the Longwear & Waterproof verision.  That one is super oily and pulls out my contacts.  The normal one, is not oily at all, and does not bother my contacts at all.  And I don't normally wear waterproof make up, but I never had a hard time removing any make up with the normal ones, so I don't think you really even need the other one no matter what you are wearing.

NOT: NYC Blushable Crème Stick in Gold Radiance 
TRY THIS: Revlon Photo Ready Skin Lights Face Illuminator in Bare Light or Laura Geller Gilded Honey- I did not pick another highlighter in stick form because I'm not a face of stick blushes and highlighters.  I don't feel like they have sanitary and I also tend to have a heavy hand with them, and it ends up moving my foundations and powders.  So I picked a cream and a powder highlight for alternatives.  The Revlon one is a peach gold that leaves a nice moisturizing glow to your cheeks.  The Gilded Honey is one of the most gorgeous and pigmented highlighters I have ever seen, but sometimes I think the shine can be too much.  I will not wear one to work.

NOT: Scott Barnes Body Bling Moisturizing Shimmering Body Lotion
TRY THIS:  Million Dollar Tan- If you are super pale, like me, I think you should stay far, far away from the Scott Barnes Body Bling and stick with Million Dollar Tan.  I use the darker version, and I'm super pale!  It gives you a really nice, even , natural looking tan.  It's also super easy to apply and dries quickly (which is important to Moms) and it lasts 3-4 depending on showering.  This will be my third or fourth summer using it.

NOT: Physicians Formula Super CC Powder
TRY THIS: Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder- This is one  of my favorite face powders of all time.  It's perfect for setting you foundation and even gives a little but of extra coverage.  I have seriously gone through like 2 or 3 of these, and with the amount of powders I have, that says something! Haha

That is all the products from my first Products I Regret post.  I hope you liked my recommendations and found this useful!  I have already done second Products I Regret Buying post, so if everyone like this post, then I will do a similar one with those products soon also!  And I'm actually working on a third post for Products I Regret Buying post right now, so look out for that one soon also!

Happy Savings Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment